Suspect detained after police pursuit through multiple RCMP detachment areas

Numerous charges have been laid as a result of a series of criminal offences that took place in the Wadena/Foam Lake, Yorkton, Melville and Fort Qu’Appelle detachment areas involving a vehicle stolen from Canora. Tyler Calvin Severight, 26 years old, of the Cote First Nation, was arrested in Fort Qu’Appelle after a series of police pursuits, according to an RCMP release.

Beginning in the late evening on November 2, Wadena/Foam Lake RCMP were dispatched to a motor vehicle collision in Foam Lake in which one driver fled the scene of the accident. The other driver was able to provide a description to police, said the release. Police later located the vehicle unoccupied and confirmed it was stolen from Canora. 

article continues below

An officer then located a male matching the description walking nearby the abandoned stolen vehicle. The suspect disobeyed orders by the officer to stop walking and pulled out a machete from his pants. The suspect pointed the machete at the officer, then held the machete to his own throat telling the officer to “leave me alone.”  The suspect then fled the area on foot. A short time later a truck was reported stolen by an armed suspect with a machete in which he entered a residence through an unlocked door. The suspect was last seen on highway 16 heading towards Yorkton.

Yorkton RCMP located the truck on Hwy No. 16 near Springside and attempted to stop the vehicle, but the driver refused to stop. Police pursued the vehicle and one officer was nearly struck by the suspect as it swerved into the oncoming lane. Two spike belt attempts were foiled when the suspect drove into the ditch.

The suspect entered Yorkton city limits and the pursuit was discontinued for public safety.  Police located the suspect fueling up at a gas station a short time later. Officers attempted to block the suspect at the pumps, but the vehicle fled towards Melville on highway 10 with the fuel pump still in the vehicle.

Melville RCMP followed the suspect from a distance on Hwy No. 10 while Fort Qu’Appelle RCMP set up a road block east of Balcarres. Another spike belt was used and was effective causing the suspect’s tires to deflate.  The suspect continued to flee towards Fort Qu’Appelle.  As the vehicle entered Fort Qu’Appelle, the vehicle came to a stop after colliding with a stop sign.

The suspect fled on foot to a nearby backyard where he was surrounded by police. The suspect continued to hold the machete to his throat. Two conducted energy deployments were unsuccessful. An officer trained in crisis negotiation made contact with the suspect, but after 70 minutes the suspect would not give up.

Officers used an extended range impact weapon that shoots a foam projectile to disable the suspect. He was arrested shortly thereafter, assessed by EMS and taken into custody. No injuries were sustained to the suspect or police.

Tyler Severight was remanded and appeared in Fort Qu’Appelle Provincial Court on November 4 and 7 charged with numerous offences, and was to remain in custody.