Chase the Ace fundraiser sponsored by KamKids Daycare

The first draw in the Chase the Ace (CTA) fundraiser sponsored by the KamKids Daycare happened shortly after the group received its final go-ahead to proceed.

Doug Ducheminsky was the winner of $35 in the first draw made on Friday night at the Kamsack Legion Hall, which was the consolation prize for having drawn the seven of hearts instead of the ace of spades.

article continues below

“We are hoping to generate a lot of excitement and hope to raise enough money to fund a new daycare facility for Kamsack,” said Chantel Kitchen, chair of the daycare board.

The Legion Hall will be the venue in which the members of KamKids will hold their CTA fundraiser on Friday nights until November 15 when the event moves to the mezzanine at the Broda Sportsplex and will be held on Thursday evenings.

For now, Jim Woodward, legion president, and members of the legion are accommodating the fundraiser, but when CTA moves to the Sportsplex members of the Kamsack Curling Club will be the volunteer help at the event.

If the Ace of Spades has not been drawn by March 21, 2019, the draw venue will return to the Kamsack Legion starting March 29, and concluding September 27, according to the KamKids CTA rules.

Tickets will be sold from 7 p.m. until 8:30 p.m. with the draw being made at 8:30 p.m. at the Legion, and from 8 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. with the draw being made at 9:30 p.m. at the Sportsplex. 

One winning ticket will be drawn for 20 per cent of the daily ticket sales and a chance to draw the ace of spades from a deck of cards, 30 per cent of the daily sales will go into the CTA jackpot and 50 per cent of the daily sales will be retained by KamKids.

“The winner has to be in attendance or have indicated the name of a ‘proxy’ clearly on the ticket, and their proxy must be in attendance to claim the prize. They will have 15 minutes after the draw is made to come forward,” Kitchen said.

“KamKids is hoping to raise enough money to move from the current location in the Crowstand, because the lease is up at the end of March, 2019,” she said. “We are continuing to explore options and have begun meeting with the Good Spirit School Division (GSSD) to see if there is a possibility of having the daycare housed in one of their buildings.

“A new construction would cost over a million dollars but renovations to an existing space would be much less. The daycare board will continue to work to raise funding and put plans in place for a new venue,” she said.

KamKids currently employs seven full-time staff members and three part-time. Right now the daycare is looking to hire another part-time employee to work late-morning to mid-afternoon, covering the lunch breaks. Training will be provided, Kitchen said.